ISACA’s first annual survey shows that more than 45 percent of respondents feel the risks of cloud computing outweigh the major benefits offered by the technology. However, 38 percent of the 1,809 members of ISACA surveyed felt that the risks and benefits of cloud computing were equally balanced. Some 17 percent felt that the benefits outweigh the risks.
For CTOs, these results may cast some doubt on where cloud computing sits in your organization, as many IT professionals are still on the fence about cloud computing. Some may see those numbers as good news, while others may feel that those numbers justify their resistance to a shift in the cloud.
For cloud service providers, those numbers actually have a different meaning. A quick interpretation of the results shows that 55 percent of IT professionals will consider cloud computing as a viable option for IT operations, creating a significant opportunity for the purveyors of cloud technologies. On the other hand, the remaining 45 percent may not be ready to adopt the technology, but with a little persuasion and facts, those naysayers may become amiable to the benefits of cloud computing.
What types of cloud computing initiatives will gain ground in today’s enterprises? The numbers make things a little vague. Although the majority of the respondents indicate that cloud computing is acceptable, only 10 percent of the respondents said their organizations plan to employ cloud computing solutions for mission-critical IT services, while 26 percent have no plans to use cloud computing at all.
Some 18 percent have not yet established any plans to implement cloud computing, while 15 percent of the respondents intend to limit cloud computing to non-mission-critical services. When it comes down to it, only a quarter of the respondent have any plans to use cloud computing.
Those numbers may not offer a lot of comfort for those looking to move to the cloud, as it looks like they will still have to be trail-blazing pioneers for a few more years.
Click through for findings on how IT Risk Management fits into the overall program for managing risk in the enterprise.
Close to half are sure that cloud computing entails significant risks to the business.
While one in four have no plans to embrace cloud computing, 30 percent said they don’t know their company’s plans.
Regulations still drive most risk management initiatives.
Tough times make for tough choices when evaluating risks.
A significant gap still exists between the management of business and IT risk.
But at least half appear to be making progress.
Appetite for risks seems to be increasing.
Do more with what you have is the order of the risk management day.