Top 10 Well-Compensated Execs of 09 - Slide 3

Email     |     Share  
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12
Next Top 10 Well-Compensated Execs of 09-3 Next

  • BMC reports that fiscal 2011 first quarter total revenue was $461 million, up 2 percent from the year-ago period.
  • Beauchamp explained to Bloomberg Businessweek’s Katie Hoffman why BMC revenues have grown throughout the economic downturn compared with its competitors:

“Software is less than 3 percent of revenues for Hewlett-Packard. It's 100 percent of ours. We wake up every day, the entire company, focused on software management. Our larger competitors have to focus on the other 97 percent of their business.”

Analyst and IT Business Edge blogger Rob Enderle has this to say about executive salaries:

“CEO pay has increasingly become a problem over the last several years as it has drifted well out of line with economic conditions and comparable salaries for the rank and file employees.  This excess has been connected to both employee mistreatment and executive misadventure, suggesting that it has crossed the line from asset to liability for many firms.  Yet turning this problem around isn’t trivial because executives at this level expect these high payments, even though they should know that they are neither good for them personally nor for their respective companies.  It is well past time that this topic should be effectively addressed because it’s beginning to cause the failures of a growing number of top executives.”

Enderle says oftentimes the board is to blame:

At the source for executive overcompensation are boards largely made up of ex-CEOs who themselves were often overcompensated … There are no repercussions to the board for overcompensation and the boards are compensated as well by the company. The board members are effectively selected by the CEO, leading to what can be an ugly cycle of self-indulgence.”

Perhaps a good example of this can be seen with the recent resignation of HP CEO Mark Hurd. He was forced out after board members discovered he had falsified expense reports. Indeed, Don Tennant is unsure “about whether it’s Hurd or the HP board that’s more inept in terms of leadership.”

Aside from the board’s role in supporting extravagant executive compensation, the economic climate took its toll on many tech CEOs’ compensation, but not everyone was hurting.  Take a look at technology’s top 10 highest-paid executives in 2009.

More Slideshows:

Six Strategies for Tech Professionals Looking for a New Position Keep these tips in mind when looking for your next tech job.

Eight Steps to Leveraging Social Networks in Your Job Search Eight steps to focus your online job search.

10 Steps to Tech Employment There was once a perception that working for the nation’s largest companies equaled career stability. Not anymore.


Related Topics : Many Industries Now Compete with Google for Top Tech Talent, A Big Market for Big Data Jobs, Litigation, Business Process Automation, Competitive Analysis

More Slideshows

PlexxiITRoles0x IT Roles: The New Faces of Network Infrastructure

The newfound emphasis on tools and service integration is shaping a new crop of industry professionals — the actual faces behind the IT infrastructure. ...  More >>

IT_Man85-290x195 Business in the Front, Balance All Around: Working with Gen Z

In order to attract Gen Z talent, employers will need to take into account that this group of the workforce may expect a different set of benefits. ...  More >>

ITCareers47-290x195.jpg Finding the Right Employer: 6 Interview Questions

Like Goldilocks, finding a job that's just right can be a challenge. Here are six questions you need to bring to your next interview. ...  More >>

Subscribe to our Newsletters

Sign up now and get the best business technology insights direct to your inbox.