Overcoming Social Business Skepticism

Michael Vizard
Slide Show

Social Media: Where's the Strategy?

While corporate participation in social media is increasing, many companies still do not have a strategic plan for its use.

There's a lot of well-deserved skepticism these days for anything associated with social media or networking. After all, it's really hard to attach any meaningful return on investment (ROI) numbers to most social networking engagements. And yet, clearly there is something potentially very powerful starting to occur.

To help businesses figure out what is real versus theoretical when it comes to social media and networking, Hewlett-Packard has launched HP Social Enterprise Services through which it promises to walk companies through the process of becoming a true social business.

According to Dennison DeGregor, worldwide CRM executive for HP, the process starts with simple social media sentiment analysis concerning your organization's brand that can quickly move all the way up to driving actual sales via social networking. But the real end goal, says DeGregor, is to create a level of transparency into the business that encompasses everything from the supply chain to customer service.

Today, hardly any organizations have that level of transparency into their operations. But they have to begin somewhere. DeGregor says that HP will start the process by bringing tools such as its recently acquired Autonomy enterprise search technology and the skilled HP specialists required to run it. For example, DeGregor says most companies are going to find that 70 percent of the social media traffic about them could be classified as spam, and only two percent of the remaining 30 percent might actually be a service issue requiring their attention. But getting in front of that two percent before it snowballs into an issue that adversely affects the brand can be critical.

While social technologies in and of themselves might never provide a measurable ROI, reinventing the way the business operates in a way that is fundamentally more efficient might just be priceless. None of that is going to happen overnight. But a few prototype projects should put the organization on the right path without creating a situation where expectations far exceed social networking reality.

Subscribe to our Newsletters

Sign up now and get the best business technology insights direct to your inbox.


Add Comment      Leave a comment on this blog post
Apr 27, 2012 1:39 PM Pankaj Taneja Pankaj Taneja  says:

As HP has rightly identified, social business, as it relates to CRM, is more that using a new tool, but has a far reaching impact in terms of organizational design, processes, and overall CRM philosophy. If the curtain is suddenly pulled down, companies have to be prepared to face this new transparency.

The same holds true for the other side of "social business" - using social tools internally to make for more streamlines processes, and allow people to work together better.

These two sides of social business sometime tend to get confused. A third side of social business for me is to use social media to market oneself.

Maybe all of these different aspects of "social business" need to be tied together in a grand overarching strategy.


Post a comment





(Maximum characters: 1200). You have 1200 characters left.




Subscribe Daily Edge Newsletters

Sign up now and get the best business technology insights direct to your inbox.

Subscribe Daily Edge Newsletters

Sign up now and get the best business technology insights direct to your inbox.