President Obama on Friday challenged private companies to hire 100,000 post-9/11 veterans or their spouses by 2013, something already in the works at companies such as Cisco, AT&T, Verizon and EMC with the "100,000 Jobs Mission."
Among the problems vets face is translating their military experience into terms that hiring managers understand. At the same time, companies have trouble matching up with veterans who have the skills they need. In response, DirectEmployers Association, a non-profit HR consortium of global employers, including Intel, Cisco, Microsoft and others, is providing companies with a platform that matches a veteran's Military Occupation Code with openings listed on their careers pages.
- (Army) 25B = Information technology specialist (Civilian)
- (Navy) 0904 = Critical care nurse (Civilian)
- (Marines) 1310 = Civil engineer (Civilian)
- (Air Force) 3D032 = Network administrator (Civilian)
- (Coast Guard) 91 = Physician (Civilian)
AT&T is among the companies involved in a pilot of the platform. You can scroll down on its Veterans Jobs page to see the option to filter jobs by military titles.