Phase: Choose Technologies that Meet Your Needs
S T E P
2 / 17
Network Storage Options
Use this key to understand the difference between various storage options for the primary storage layer.
| Type || Characteristics || Vendors |
| Traditional Mid-range Array || |
- An array of disks behind a single or dual storage controller.
- Originally Fibre Channel connected though some now also feature iSCSI ports.
- Advanced disk management feature for RAID groups and logical unit (LUN) creation.
- Advanced storage management features, such as replication, are provided through additional management software.
- EMC Clariion and AX
- HP EVA
- IBM D-Series
- HDS MDS
- Dell (resells EMC Clariion
| Mid-range Storage from Tier Two Innovator || |
Typically targeted at the same needs range as traditional mid-range storage with various differentiating innovation. These might include:
- Storage virtualization to abstract the management of storage volumes from disk management.
- Built-in hierarchical storage management to move data among storage tiers.
- Virtualization enables features such as flexible volume sizing, thin provisioning, data deduplication, snap-shotting and replication.
- Could also feature a clustered architecture or scalable grid that departs from classic design (e.g., 3Par).
| Enterprise Network Attached Storage || |
- Enterprise Network Attached Storage (NAS) is primarily for file storage (unstructured data).
- However, it often can be configured to also have ports and capacity allocation for block level iSCSI and Fibre Channel storage.
- It is called Enterprise NAS because in terms of capacity and internal management features, it is comparable to (and sometimes based upon) a mid-range storage array.
- NetApp FAS
- IBM N-Series
- EMC Celerra
- Pilar Data Systems
| Clustered iSCSI Solutions || |
- Clustered iSCSI solutions are storage servers or nodes that are clustered into scalable storage grid for iSCSI storage.
- Built-in storage management features are similar to what is provided by the mid-range innovators (virtualization, snapshots, thin provisioning, etc.).
- Dell EqualLogic
This Project Phase provided by:
Info-Tech's products and services combine actionable insight and relevant advice with ready-to-use tools and templates that cover the full spectrum of IT concerns.
Visit Info-Tech Research Group »