When <strong>Apple filed suit against HTC</strong>, arguing that the company infringed 20 different patents associated with Apple's iPhone, observers suggested Google and its Android mobile platform were the real targets. And news a day later that the iPhone was losing mobile market share to Android seems to corroborate that theory.
Tuesday, at least one analyst was advising his clients that Apple's strategy is paying off. PCWorld.com reports:
Oppenheimer's Yair Reiner said in a note to his clients that Apple's lawsuit, combined with high-level discussions, have caused top-tier smartphone makers to send their device plans back to engineering.
As Reiner also noted, the lawsuit did not come without warning. COO Tim Cook did not pull punches in January last year when he told reporters "We will not stand for having our IP ripped off..." At the time, though, most assumed Cook's comment was directed to Palm regarding its Pre. Now it's clear the warning was intended for a wider audience.
That said, PCWorld.com's Jared Newman makes an astute observation: The move may ultimately send more handset makers to seek the protection of Microsoft and its Windows Phone 7.